Subject: Re: [boost] [shifted_ptr] Review Request
From: Phil Bouchard (philippe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-05 21:15:10

On 4/5/2011 7:39 AM, Thomas Klimpel wrote:

[...]

> But I would suggest a much easier step first. Your presentation already exists, and it has many nice pictures and illustrates many points. Yet I have the impression that it still fails to convey the information that also some of the reviewers missed in 2003. Why don't we try to "review" and improve this presentation first? To be honest, I would really like to know what "shifted_ptr" is (or wants to be). As there is already a 28 page presentation and many examples, this should hopefully be a goal that can be achieved.

To answer your question shifted_ptr<> is an attempt to offer a better
alternative than both shared_ptr<>, intrusive_ptr<> and all other
garbage collection mechanisms. Please remember that:
- From my experience garbage collected languages like Java (Tomcat for
example) always uses a huge amount of memory and keeps increasing over
time...
- shared_ptr<> shouldn't be used for performance critical applications
- intrusive_ptr<> is faster but will create messy code with multiply
inherited classes

Thanks,
-Phil