Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library starts tomorrow
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-08 10:54:53

On Apr 8, 2011, at 7:17 AM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 03:57 AM, Artyom wrote:
>>>
>>> In "Using Localization Backends":
>>>
>>> - You discuss on what platforms the standard library backend is useful.
>>> Where you say "on Linux with GCC or Intel compilers", would it be
>>> better to say "when using the GCC standard library, for example with
>>> GCC, the Intel compiler" since I guess e.g. clang (if used with the gcc
>>> std lib) would work too?
>>>

>> I can't tell, not tested with clang.
>>
>> But I must say that toooo many standard libraries has broken locale
>> support. For example GCC's libstd++ supports locales only
>> on Linux based on libc's (now POSIX but in earlier days non-standard
>> functions like newlocale/duplocale).
>>
>> So I would not be surprised that clang's version of libstd++ compiled
>> with only C/POSIX locales in.
>>

> clang uses GCC's libstdc++ directly. It doesn't
> have its own version.

Actually, it does:
        http://libcxx.llvm.org/

But it's in the process of being rolled out (i.e, most people are still using libstdc++)

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki