Subject: Re: [boost] [move] new rvalue reference emulation
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-11 08:03:57

On 4/10/2011 9:22 PM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.<
> jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...snipping original description...]
>
> I have a follow-up to my original message regarding a typeless emulated
> rvalue reference. I was disappointed in the lack of feedback (other than
> Dave) on the original message, which might mean that those who took the time
> to parse the message didn't think it was worth pursuing; maybe C++03 is
> already too outdated and we should forget about it? However, at the moment,
> I prefer to think that everyone (except, again, Dave; thanks Dave!) was
> simply too busy to delve into what I was trying to convey. So let me try
> again, with a longer, more detailed, and more leisurely explanation, and
> this time I additionally present a partial solution to extend the technique
> to quasi-polymorphic result types (I'll explain what I mean below).

This is no doubt a disappointing response to your wonderful post, but I
believe I can tell you why you received so little feedback. 'Move' is a
C++0x concept which current C++ programmers view as an optimization, not
a core programming issue, and is not supported by many current C++
compilers except in some sort of C++0x mode. Boost.Move may have brought
the idea to programmers but it is not yet in Boost itself for some
reason. So as disappointing as it may seem, very probably many
programmers, like myself, know very little about 'Move', So it is not
that C++03 is outdated but exactly the opposite, which is that C++0x is
not here yet nor is Boost.Move and therefore the issues which 'Move'
entails is not something of which most C++ programmers are not aware.