Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Pool] TR1?
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-12 02:19:44

On 11 April 2011 22:40, Phil Bouchard <philippe_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 4/11/2011 6:02 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>

>> Whatever the costs, you have a point because this is something that
>> can only be implemented portably by the standard. I'm certain that
>> Boost.Pool invokes undefined behavior whenever it returns false from
>> is_from().
>>

> Indeed 'false' basically means your not sure if the pointer will eventually
> be part of the pool

But it may be undefined behavior to pass that pointer to is_from.

> or not but 'true' is authoritative in its quest to locate a current object.

But it doesn't tell whether the object was directly allocated in that pool
or if it was indirectly allocated by being an aggregate in another data
structure.

What exactly is the benefit of this?

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404