Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Local library -- need reviews!
From: Olaf Peter (ope-devel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-14 13:01:40

Am 14.04.2011 16:42, schrieb Artyom:
>> Anyway, how does it play with Qt and wxwindows e.g.? I can't find about
>
>> this on the docs.
>>

> I'm not too familiar with wxWdgets, but in all related to Qt I must
> admit that Qt does not plays well (if at all) with standard C++ library
> and STL.
>
> It has its own string (QString) its own character (QChar - two bytes) its
> own locale object (QLocale) and its own tools for localization.
>
> Of course nothing prevents from you using Boost.Locale with Qt however
> it would be bounded and limited by the integration of Qt with STL.
>
> For example you would likely want to use things like
>
> QString s=QString::fromStdString((format(translate("The time is {1,time}")) %
> time).str());
>
> However I can say that in case of Gtkmm it would be likely
> better as it is much more STL friendly in comparison to Qt.

Qt has it's own macro/function QObject::tr(), see
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/i18n-source-translation.html, which is
normally used for. How do you see to get it to play with boost.locale?

boost.locale is very good for localizing console/logging programs imo,
but as I can see it doesn't play well with Qt, the above convert isn't
applicable for 'layered' designs (independent core libs on bottom, Qt on
UI).

Regards,
Olaf