Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-14 16:42:27

> Saving source file in UTF-8 with BOM doesn't make MSVC use UTF-8 as
> char encoding.
> It's just because ASCII is compatible with UTF-8 encoding.
> It's still a Multibyte Character Set.
> I use Windows with Japanese locale.
> In my environment, string literal with no encoding prefix become Shift-JIS.
>
> So this library takes whatever encoding the compiler use for char and
> use it as unique identifier for a corresponding translated text.
>
> If you really want to use UTF-8, then you have to use C++0x's u8
> encoding prefix.
> Not many compiler support it yet though.

It actually does.

Take a look on libs/locale/examples/wboundary.cpp.
Add UTF-8 BOM to it, compile it with MSVC it works
perfectly.

There is no problems with that.

I'm working usually in Hebrew locale so it
does not "work" for me either. However Adding BOM
solves problems.

> --
> Ryou Ezoe

On the same note I'd like to address you
to this table

http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/appendix.html#tested_compilers_and_paltforms

You'll see that MSVC 2008 and 2010 is fully
supported with all icu, winapi and std backends.

I've got reports that MSVC 2005 works fully as well.

Artyom