Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review. Internationalization library?
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-16 15:59:07

> From: Vicente BOTET <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>
> > De : "Artyom"
> > > From: Vicente BOTET
> > >
> > > from the name of the library Boost.Locale and the
> > > section "What is Boost.Locale?" I didn't get enough
> > > information about the motivation and the scope of the library.
> > > [snip]
> >
> > I had completely rewritten this section.
> >
> > See: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/217866
>
> It is not clear from this introduction that the library provide
> datetime and calendar classes independent from Boost.DateTime.

Should it be a part of introduction?

Also the fact that it supports non-Gregorian calendars
should be "leading"

> > > From my side if the library was named Boost.Internationalization
> > > I'm sure I would had take a look long time ago. Do you think that this
> > >renaming
> > > (or a shorter one) will cover the whole library or there are parts of the

> > >library
> > > that don't fall in the internationalization domain?
> >
> > Actually there are 3 terms:
> >
> > - Internationalization (i18n)- the preparation of the software to support
> > different cultures
> > - Localization (l10n) - adopting the software for specific culture.
> > - Globalization - 118n+l10n (not really used outside Microsoft terminology)
> >
> > This way or other I'd prefer not to rename the library as there already
> > users all around and I don't think it would benefit from it much.
> > Especially that locale is quite short name.
>
> I insist Locale is on the other side of Internationalization,
> and you library is more about internationalization.
> If you want a short name what about i18n?

It was one of potential names at the beginning but I had found
that writing numbers (i18n) takes more time the to spell
a native English word (locale)

> By the way, I was unable to find the grammar of the formatted messages?
> his is an important part that the document must contain explicitly.

See:
http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/localized_text_formatting.html

I forgot to add how to insert "{" and "}" but it will be there (by adding "{{"
and "}}" )

Best,
  Artyom