Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library EXTENDED
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-19 09:38:48

Ryou Ezoe wrote:
> I don't care library internally convert between UTFs.
> At least, conversion between UTFs are trivial and more importantly
> consistent so I don't care.
>
> The user want to develop their software using their native language.
> Localization should be done by mapping their language to other languages.
> So the library should offer mapping to any unicode string to other
> unicode string.

But you have to propose something specific. How should the library be
changed? I asked a direct question: if the library accepts

    translate( L"日本語" )

encodes the wide literal as UTF-8 and uses it to look up a msgid in the .po
file, will this be enough for you? Or do you want something else, and if so,
what?