Subject: Re: [boost] [accumulators] regression tests and MingW/gcc-4.5.2
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-28 08:34:32

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:15:54AM -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 4/28/2011 1:13 AM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
>> On Thursday, 28. April 2011 02:11:45 Edward Diener wrote:
>>> What is the 'TDM' build supposed to mean ?
>>
>> Alternative build provided at:
>> http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/
>>
>> Another version is available from Equation.com:
>> http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=fortran
>>
>> Both provide classic 32-bit mingw and 64-bit mingw-64
>>
>> Both have pros and cons, I currently use mingw-64 snapshot build directly from
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
>>
>> In other words: your mileage may vary.
>
> I am really curious why one would ever use these downloads rather than
> the ones supplied officially by MingW.

Because mingw-w64 is a fork with active development tracking current-day
GCC and with excellent support for 64-bit and 32-bit Windows.

Official MinGW has historically been quite behind, and very sad for
64-bit compilation.

As for TDM, it's as far as I understand it builds of mainline MinGW with
support for some different debug symbol formats and used to be more
ahead than vanilla MinGW w.r.t. GCC versions and tools.

It doesn't make much sense to say "MinGW" without qualifying which
particular variant you're using, as they're rather different in
capabilities in some areas.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]