Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review results for Boost.Locale library
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-28 23:34:54

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
<jeremy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> having to deal with this by creating a translation from
> "ASCII English to appease translation system" to "Real English to display to
> users" would seem to be an unjustifiable additional burden.

I always recommend that the text in the code be written in "programmer
speak" and then translated to English by the UI team. Programmers
typically aren't good at usability and they often end up changing the
text in their code once QA or UX sees the wording of messages
presented to users. I request to change the wording of a message
shouldn't be a code file change. It should be a translation file
change.

Now, whether that "programmer speak" is in English or some other
language, is another story - the main story of the other emails, I
guess. But I just wanted to take this opportunity to encourage
developers to get user-presented strings out of their code and into
some other file that a separate UI team can maintain for you. (even if
that UI team is you today, it might not be in the future)

Tony