Subject: Re: [boost] [convert] Boost.Convert Library Review
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-02 13:07:10

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Matthew Chambers
<matt.chambers42_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I was under the impression that it was the stringstream allocations rather
> than the exceptions. Unless you're generally throwing an exception for every
> single attribute or something.

Both. Optimizations to lexical_cast have been proposed before, not
sure what the problem was to including them since they didn't change
the interface, only changed performance. The exceptions hinder
performance in cases when you are parsing a file with lots of default
values being used, since lexical_cast has no behavior other than to
throw for a bad value (last I used it, which is not recently).

--Michael Fawcett