Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Boost.Convert library has ended
From: Vladimir Batov (vbatov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-03 18:23:05

> Edward Diener <eldiener <at> tropicsoft.com> writes:
> The review period for the Boost.Convert library has officially ended.

Edward,

I thought I'd express my opinion on the situation potentially making your
decision easier. :-) Given the situation I feel the library should be rejected
(so now you can count my vote as well :-) ). Quite a few people expressed
negative opinions, criticism from function names to design, reservations or
conditional acceptance with considerable re-work. Many suggestions have their
merits in certain contexts and for certain usage patterns. Unfortunately, I feel
that trying to address those would inevitably be done at the expense of or would
have a considerable impact on other use-cases equally important to others. Given
my abilities I do not see how it is possible to satisfy a considerable number of
conflicting requirements/expectations to everyone's satisfaction.

In that light I do not feel comfortable trying to offer the library which copped
so much criticism... and will be copping criticism unless re-done to satisfy
conflicting requirements... which I personally do not see achievable.

Thank you for taking on the hard task of managing the review.
Thank you everyone who expressed their views and opinions.
I am throwing in the towel. I am hoping someone tougher and brighter will come
up with an adequate solution.

V.