Subject: [boost] [autoindex] Rationale Question
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-06 12:45:05

Hello,

It is not a review but rather questions about this tool
rationale.

Form the very brief look into AutoIndex documentation I see.

> ... AutoIndex will automatically scan one or
> more C/C++ header files and extract all the
> function, class, macro and typedef names that
> are defined by those headers, and then insert
> the <indexterm>s into the Docbook XML document for you.

However, there is a tool Doxygen that already does
this.

Doxygen is fully capable system for indexing
source files and providing references for them.

For example:

   http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/namespacemembers.html
   http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/namespacemembers_func.html

So there is a well debugged, tested, supported
indexing tool (Doxygen) that as far as I know
works fine and is already used by Boost.

So the question are

1. How does it differs from Doxygen indexing?

   I'm not talking about the integration with
   various pars of Boost documentation toolchain
   but rather what it does differently.

2. Why have you decided to develop entirely new tool
   instead of using existing one.

I probably miss some points but I rather see
a great tool Doxygen that already does many
things and does them well but still
Boost creates its own tools (and this does
not happen first time)

Thanks,
  Artyom