Subject: Re: [boost] Towards a plan to reduce active tickets
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-16 17:10:06

Christopher Jefferson wrote:

> On 15 May 2011, at 11:17, Vicente BOTET wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've inspected the number of tickets since the las Bug Sprint and we ca
>> see that we are having a mean of 18 additional active tickets each month.
>>
>> month created closed diff
>> 01/05/10 99 107 8
>> 01/06/10 122 316 194 // Bug Sprint
>> 01/07/10 103 56 -47
>> 01/08/10 115 120 5
>> 01/09/10 85 34 -51
>> 01/10/10 105 91 -14
>> 01/11/10 109 80 -29
>> 01/12/10 83 92 9
>> 01/01/11 98 79 -19
>> 01/02/11 98 71 -27
>> 01/03/11 161 107 -54
>> 01/04/11 105 145 40
>> MEAN 106,2 87,5 -18,7
>>
>> * MEAN is calculated since the last Bug Sprint, that is for the last 10
>> months.
>>
>> I don't know what could be done to instead of having more active tickets
>> each month having less. While the Bug Sprints are useful I think that we
>> need to have a plan to reduce them is a regular way.
>>
>> I know that a lot of people would be at BoostCon. It would be great if
>> this subject could be discussed in one of the general sessions.
>>
>> if you have any suggestion, please replay to this post and share your
>> view with the Boost community.
>

> I'd be interested to know, from someone who is better at manipulating trac
> than me, where things are getting stuck. Is it bugs which aren't even
> looked at? Patches never get written? Patches never get applied?
>
> I won't be at boostcon, but I would be very happy to lend real help into
> helping get the bug database under control, as long as that job doesn't
> mainly involve kicking library maintainers into applying patches.

I have created two reports
{39} Oldest modified active ticket by component
{40} Newest closed ticket by component

Unfortunately I was not able to put all the information in one sheet. These
reports let me believe that libraries having a lot of active tickets are
working hard to solve them, but as there are a lot, the active tickets start
to accumulate. I think that these (bigger) libraries need several
maintainers that could take the time to analyze the tickets, apply the
patches and so on.

I would like the maintainers of these libraries to contact some people that
could be interested in helping in maintenance or call for volunteers wanting
to be co-maintainers. Up to the current maintainers to accept them or not.

Best,
Vicente

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/39?sort=created&asc=1&page=1
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/40?sort=created&asc=1&page=1