Subject: Re: [boost] [pre-review] Pimpl submission in the review queue
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-24 15:58:59

On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:53:55 -0700, Michael Caisse
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 05/24/2011 10:59 AM, Mostafa wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 May 2011 04:16:00 -0700, Stewart, Robert
>> <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> If you want to use the Code Collaborator site to examine the library,
>>> you must create an account. The good news is that there are other
>>> libraries there that you can review, too. If you wish to avoid
>>> creating an account, then you can follow the link on the review
>>> schedule to the code in the sandbox.
>>
>> Some may just want to follow a review without necessary participating
>> in one. Requiring a user account discourages such activity, and in my
>> opinion, creates an artificial barrier to further engagement between
>> newcomers, or even existing Boost watchers, and Boost, even if it is a
>> one-sided engagement.
>>
>> My thoughts,
>>
>> Mostafa
>>

> I'm going to strongly disagree here. Of late, there have been multiple
> reviews that have only been conducted on the dev list. While I disagree
> with the decision, I can both appreciate and understand it. The Review
> Manager role is hard enough while monitoring one list during an
> energetic review. However, this choice by some Review Managers has
> resulted in disenfranchised user-only-list members of the community.
> Just look at the responses on the user list when these announcement were
> made.
>
> The offered solution: subscribe to the dev list for the duration of the
> review. The push-back to the suggestion: the dev list is a high-volume
> list that people don't want to wade through to get review updates from.
>
> A tool such as Code Collaborator is the perfect solution. If you don't
> want the traffic of the review, don't subscribe. If you want to follow
> the review, then subscribe and only get updates on the review you want
> to follow.
>
> There is no barrier to creating a user account. Credit card numbers are
> not solicited, spam is not sent. The review process is something that
> can benefit from tools. Please don't create FUD.
>

> michael

Hello Michael,

I think you've misread this discussion, or I haven't been very clear in
expressing myself. My original, and only suggestion, was to have
read-only access to Code Collaborator without the need to create an
account, without making a value judgement on whether Code Collaborator was
good or bad, or whether the review process should be changed or not.

It may truly be that what I point out leads to FUD, but I do think it is a
legitimate concern. Please see my response to Robert Stewart for more
clarification: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/219704

Mostafa