Subject: Re: [boost] [pre-review] Pimpl submission in the review queue
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-24 14:53:55

On 05/24/2011 10:59 AM, Mostafa wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 04:16:00 -0700, Stewart, Robert
> <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Mostafa wrote:
>>> On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:42:06 -0700, Vladimir Batov
>>> <vb.mail.247_at_[hidden]>

>>> Is it possible to have anonymous read-only access to it?
>>
>> If you want to use the Code Collaborator site to examine the library,
>> you must create an account. The good news is that there are other
>> libraries there that you can review, too. If you wish to avoid
>> creating an account, then you can follow the link on the review
>> schedule to the code in the sandbox.
>
> Some may just want to follow a review without necessary participating
> in one. Requiring a user account discourages such activity, and in my
> opinion, creates an artificial barrier to further engagement between
> newcomers, or even existing Boost watchers, and Boost, even if it is a
> one-sided engagement.
>
> My thoughts,
>
> Mostafa

I'm going to strongly disagree here. Of late, there have been multiple
reviews that have only been conducted on the dev list. While I disagree
with the decision, I can both appreciate and understand it. The Review
Manager role is hard enough while monitoring one list during an
energetic review. However, this choice by some Review Managers has
resulted in disenfranchised user-only-list members of the community.
Just look at the responses on the user list when these announcement were
made.

The offered solution: subscribe to the dev list for the duration of the
review. The push-back to the suggestion: the dev list is a high-volume
list that people don't want to wade through to get review updates from.

A tool such as Code Collaborator is the perfect solution. If you don't
want the traffic of the review, don't subscribe. If you want to follow
the review, then subscribe and only get updates on the review you want
to follow.

There is no barrier to creating a user account. Credit card numbers are
not solicited, spam is not sent. The review process is something that
can benefit from tools. Please don't create FUD.

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Object Modeling Designs