Subject: Re: [boost] [1.47.0] Release branch now closed
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-17 12:24:22

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 6/17/2011 10:36 AM, Anthony Williams wrote:
>> Rene Rivera<grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Since I don't know enough to judge the code itself at this
>>> instant.. Could others please comment on the above? Is the thread
>>> maintainer around?
>>
>> The only change NOT already merged is the change to
>> boost/detail/interlocked.hpp. I overlooked this when I merged the thread
>> changes from trunk to release a couple of weeks ago, and I wouldn't have
>> remembered if Jim hadn't raised the issue, since this is not one of the
>> main thread headers.
>>
>> However, this is a relatively small change (some functions are no longer
>> marked dllimport), and it only affects this one compiler, since the code
>> expands to the same as before on other compilers.
>
> Could you address my other concerns I posted about?

I presume you mean:

> Actually, I looked at the changeset.. And I don't see how that change
> is safe. I can see one immediate compile error/problem, 7 likely other
> compile problems, and the high-risk of changing a header in a way that
> impacts 3 platforms (and their related numerous compilers).

I don't see the "immediate compile error/problem" or "7 likely other
compile problems" that you see. As Jim points out, this has been on
trunk for 3 months, without any apparent problems. If I'd remembered, I
would have merged it when I merged the other thread changes.

I think the change is safe. As Jim points out, boost.thread will be
unusable on mingw64 without it. If it were my choice, I'd merge it, but
it's your call, not mine.

Anthony

--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/