Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
From: Joel falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-19 11:04:33

On 19/06/11 05:42, Brian Smith wrote:
> Nothing was completely ruled out.

Good then :)

> The main focus of the library was supposed to be the multi-dimensional
> arrays and there really was never any intention to implement
> expression templates on top of them, since I've got no idea what an
> operator on a multi-dimensional array means to someone who uses them.

? this sentence doesn't parse.

> While a fair bit of effort went into the matrices etc., and they will
> no doubt be useful in some applications, I realise a more significant
> effort would be needed in order to compete with nt2 say. We'll call it
> a work in progress that at the moment is not making much progress.
> While I don't think this renders them ineffectual as far as inclusion
> to Boost is concerned if the communities' decision is to remove them
> until such times that they outperform nt2 say, then so be it.

Uh no, somethign came out wrong here ... I waspiointing otu the fact
that we have some stuff ready to use if needed and that *instead* of
goign through figuring it out everything again, you can salvage whatever
design solution we found instead of having to work on them yourself.

Everything in nt2 is potentially able to be proposed as a boost
component at some point. That what we are doing at the moment with
boost.simd for example. So, I was merely pointing out the fact that such
a library is non trivial to be set-up and that I knowing advance that
you will face a very finite set of problem we solved already adn that if
you wanted to have a look at our solution, then no problem.