Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
From: Brian Smith (bjs3141_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-19 16:15:17

On 6/19/11, Joel falcou <joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 19/06/11 05:42, Brian Smith wrote:
>> The main focus of the library was supposed to be the multi-dimensional
>> arrays and there really was never any intention to implement
>> expression templates on top of them, since I've got no idea what an
>> operator on a multi-dimensional array means to someone who uses them.
>
> ? this sentence doesn't parse.

As you point out in your next posting a matrix that doesn't do linear
algebra is a 2D-array, the arrays in the library are ND-arrays. If
somebody writes a tensor class using them, for example, then its
probably a good idea to provide some relevant operations using
expression templates or otherwise.

>> While a fair bit of effort went into the matrices etc., and they will
>> no doubt be useful in some applications, I realise a more significant
>> effort would be needed in order to compete with nt2 say. We'll call it
>> a work in progress that at the moment is not making much progress.
>> While I don't think this renders them ineffectual as far as inclusion
>> to Boost is concerned if the communities' decision is to remove them
>> until such times that they outperform nt2 say, then so be it.
>
> Uh no, somethign came out wrong here ... I waspiointing otu the fact
> that we have some stuff ready to use if needed and that *instead* of
> goign through figuring it out everything again, you can salvage whatever
> design solution we found instead of having to work on them yourself.
>
> Everything in nt2 is potentially able to be proposed as a boost
> component at some point. That what we are doing at the moment with
> boost.simd for example. So, I was merely pointing out the fact that such
> a library is non trivial to be set-up and that I knowing advance that
> you will face a very finite set of problem we solved already adn that if
> you wanted to have a look at our solution, then no problem.

Ok, we agree a non-trivial amount of work is involved.