Subject: Re: [boost] [review] [heap] Summary
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-20 12:34:29

Den 18-06-2011 16:49, Andrew Sutton skrev:
> The formal review of Tim Blechmann's Heap library has concluded.
>
> Only four votes were cast, although more people commented on issues
> either on the mailing list or though the Code Collaborator tool.
> However, from the comments received, the review identified no
> fundamental problems in the design or implementation of the library
> that would entail rejection. A such,
>
> the Boost.Heap library is ACCEPTED into Boost
>
> Votes for the library were cast by:
> Phil Endecott
> Daniel Russel
>
> Votes against:
> Thomas Klimpel (provisionally)
> Andrew Sutton

This is of course not a very large foundation on which to make such a
decision. Nor is the vote particular clear.

I didn't cast a vote, but I will be /extremely/ unhappy with having
a library where this is not addressed:

> - Thorsten Ottosen suggest making b_heap and d_ary_heap container
> adaptors along the lines of std::stack, std::queue, and
> std::priority_queue, allowing parameterization over (e.g., stack-based
> container). Subsequent discussion indicates that there are some
> impracticalities in doing so, namely that it could invalidate other
> policies (e.g., stability).

I fail to to see the problem; I don't recall any problem with stability
or other problem. If there is one, then make the guarantees conditional
on the properties of the supplied container.

If drop-in support for other types of containers is not added,
the library is a lot less useful for me (and many others). There is
plenty of motivation for having this feature, and it is dead-easy to
implement as well.

So /please/ add this to the list of required fixes that must be done
before inclusion is possible.

-Thorsten