Subject: Re: [boost] [1.47.0] Beta 1 Release candidate files available
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-20 17:31:08

On 20 June 2011 23:12, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> But there is one big pain - and that's the boost documentation.
> It seems it's not part of the release tree but rather built separately
> and merged into the release.  This means that I don't really have
> the latest documentation available as I do the code.

If you open the documentation index html files they will redirect to
the last build of the trunk documentation. If you navigate from the
root/libraries html file that should happen seamlessly (unless you're
offline, in which case there's not much I can do). It shouldn't be
that hard to write a script to download boost-release-docs.7z and
extract that into a local copy.

> Fix up the bjam scripts so that directories look like:
>
> root/libs/mylib/doc/html/...

That would break a lot of documentation, and I'm not sure what it would gain.

> And every day do an incremental rebuild of the html directories.
> This shouldn't take a lot of time since release doesn't change that
> often and when it does, only that documentation which is changed
> has to be re-generated.

That isn't possible with the current build system. We need to clear
out the html files each time because it generates different file
names.

> The release managers's job would then be almost trivial:

AFAICT the documentation part of the release process is working well.
I don't think it's the cause of any effort required during release.