Subject: Re: [boost] [gui] Help with a little experiment.
From: Germán Diago (germandiago_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-21 05:23:13

El 21/06/11 11:02, Giorgio Zoppi escribió:
>>> Making a GUI library is not about providing
>>> nice syntactic sugar for building layout.
>> It is. There is aplenty core GUI stuff around. If anything, if Boost should
>> have a GUI library it should be just this: thin, synatxically nice layer on
>> top of a generic view of existing core GUI stuff.
> Why should I use that gui framework if I can use an original one?
> Why should I use boost.gui if I already know gtk and gtkmm.

I want my framework to be FAR easier to use and consequently more
productive.
Less error prone is also a goal. In gtk+ you can connect signals in any
way without noticing.
Gtkmm goes the other way around, losing all the flexibility given by
runtime signal connection.
I think both things are good: when you can type-check, type-check and
when you want
flexibility, defer to runtime but throw exceptions if something goes wrong.

After having the DSEL and bindings, more flexibility will be added, but
this requires more work.
Something like DynamicAny in the POCO libraries would be useful for this
goal. One can think
even further (serialization of widgets, etc.) but that's still quite far
away.