Subject: Re: [boost] Question about useful libraries
From: BernardH (boost-dev.ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-29 06:00:56

Joel falcou <joel.falcou <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 28/06/11 05:09, Denis Shevchenko wrote:
> >[…]
> > Could you write about the subject areas and technical directions for
> > libraries which would be *REALLY* useful in Boost today?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Well, I'll probably looks like a party crasher here but.
>
> I think currently Boost dont require *more* library, it requires a
> consolidated base of more *stable* libraries.
[…]

> What I will find worthy to be done is actively move toward C++11 and
> starts putting the pressure back on compilers and explore the new
> practice C++11 can bring or see how it will modify existing one
[…]
> I think the time is right now to pause a bit, look at the road we walked
> and consolidate ourselves, both a community and as a software project
> before engaging into the next part of the journey C++11 just opened.

While I agree with you on the need to "consolidate ourselves" on *stable* (as in
stabilizing for future standardization), I think that we should *also* be
"engaging into the next part of the journey C++11 just opened" at the same time
(if only to keep having libraries to stabilize), just the same as GNU/Linux
distributions have stable and experimental release at the same time.

I'd see boost as both a place to explore how to solve new areas of interest
(the OP point of view) and a place to find a stable consensus on the
state-of-the art (your answer as I understand it).

FWIW, to answer the OP question, I'd like to see boost solve unicode processing
in C++ (I find current state-of-the art a failure except for the work of Mathias
Gaunard) and multithread friendly data structures (could persistent data
structures be implemented with smart pointers memory managment ? I'd like to
give it a try, but for now I'm moving to Clojure for this kind of code).

Best Regards,
B.