Subject: Re: [boost] Question about useful libraries
From: Joel falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-28 12:25:26

On 28/06/11 05:09, Denis Shevchenko wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I want to ask an important question to the leading developers of Boost.
>
> The fact that many programmers write to mailing list of Boost developers
> about their libraries. And they raised the questions about interest in their
> libraries and about inclusion their libraries in Boost.
>
> But very often proposed library (or library with similar functionality)
> already exists in Boost, or nobody is interested in a such library.
>
> Could you write about the subject areas and technical directions for
> libraries which would be *REALLY* useful in Boost today?
>
> Thanks.

Well, I'll probably looks like a party crasher here but.

I think currently Boost dont require *more* library, it requires a
consolidated base of more *stable* libraries.

I remember that I was drawn to the Boost Community because of its
willingness to contribute to how C++ is used properly, pushing compiler
limits out of bounds and, de facto, making compiler vendors improve
their compilers. Boost also spawned a lot of standard worthy library,
languages feature or good practices.

What I will find worthy to be done is actively move toward C++11 and
starts putting the pressure back on compilers and explore the new
practice C++11 can bring or see how it will modify existing one. I think
it is Boost role to promote this new standard by force feeding it a bit
so it gets accepted. If not it'll basically be C99 all over again.

I think the time is right now to pause a bit, look at the road we walked
and consolidate ourselves, both a community and as a software project
before engaging into the next part of the journey C++11 just opened.

My 0,02 euros.