Subject: Re: [boost] [1.48.0] Proposed Release Schedule
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-13 10:04:58

On 13 July 2011 13:16, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The current formula for intermediate dates goes like this:
>
> * One week after prior release ships: branches/release opens for
> merging all stable changes, including bug fixes, and major upgrades to
> existing libraries. Breaking changes should be coordinated with
> libraries affected. New libraries may be added with permission of a
> release manager.

I think it'd be a good idea to ask on the list what's planned for the
next release, mainly for new libraries but also incoming changes to
existing libraries.

> * Seven weeks before release: branches/release closed for new
> libraries and breaking changes to existing libraries. Still open for
> bug fixes and other routine changes to all libraries.

If this is brought forward by 2 weeks, it will become 9 weeks before
release, which seems a bit tight. A release cycle lasts from 12 to 14
weeks. We open the release branch after 1 week, so that leaves 2 to 4
weeks, which can be significantly reduced if the previous release was
late, or there's a point release. Keeping it at 7 weeks, or maybe 8,
would be better IMO.

> * Six weeks before release: QA checks on snapshot doc builds, inspect
> status, getting started guide, and install.

Does anyone actually observe this one? I tend to check the
documentation for new libraries as they're added, and then the whole
of the documentation much later.