Subject: [boost] [1.48.0] Proposed Release Schedule
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-13 08:16:09

Give we are already in the middle of July, I feel strongly 1.48.0
should target the first Monday in November, thus putting us back on
our usual quarterly cycle. In our earlier schedule discussion, there
was some interest in a three times a year release schedule, but the
arguments were not convincing to me, so I really think we should keep
to our quarterly schedule.

The current formula for intermediate dates goes like this:

* One week after prior release ships: branches/release opens for
merging all stable changes, including bug fixes, and major upgrades to
existing libraries. Breaking changes should be coordinated with
libraries affected. New libraries may be added with permission of a
release manager.
* Seven weeks before release: branches/release closed for new
libraries and breaking changes to existing libraries. Still open for
bug fixes and other routine changes to all libraries.
* Six weeks before release: QA checks on snapshot doc builds, inspect
status, getting started guide, and install.
* Four weeks before release: branches/release closed for major code
changes. Still open for serious problem fixes and docs changes.
* Three weeks before release: branches/release closed for all library
changes except when specific permission given by release manager(s).
* Two weeks before release: Beta target date. Further betas and/or
release candidates as feedback dictates.

I propose that the Beta be scheduled for *Four* weeks before the
release target date. All the other intermediate dates would thus be
two weeks earlier.

That's more or less what we did for 1.47.0 and it allowed enough time
to fix a bunch of bugs in the beta that were bothering users.

--Beman