Subject: Re: [boost] logging
From: Jeff Graham (Jeff.Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-15 12:14:08

> -----Original Message-----
> From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Gordon
> Woodhull
> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:44 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] logging
>

> > So after 16 months and 2 releases, what is the plan?
>
> So, do you have another logging library to propose to Boost?

That is a joke I am certain. And since better people than me have
written and stopped working on a boost logging library due to the simple
fact that one has ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED instead, I can laugh at the
joke.

> Seriously folks, yes it has been a long time, but the conditions on
acceptance were pretty strong
> [1], including pretty much mandating Phoenix v3, which has only just
been released. There's a
> thread from late March which explains all of this [2].

OK. I missed that thread. It is enlightening. It sort of looks like
maybe a shadow of a plan: wait for Phoenix V3 to stabilize then refactor
because the interface will likely change in significant ways. That is
reasonable, though as others have articulated I too would question the
wisdom of holding up a very useful library for TWO YEARS because you
know that you will need to refactor some of it in the future. This is
the larger question.

> Speaking as someone who followed this review closely but found that
others had already covered every
> point I could think of, it seems to me that Andrey chose an
"everything including the kitchen sink"
> design (which I like) and it was bound to take a lot of work to bring
it up to everyone's
> expectations. I urge patience.

I think waiting 16 months is a boat load of patience whether it is in
doggie or computer years.
And of course with this model of contribution there should be little
expectation even after a contributor has submitted a library and it has
been approved and others have stopped working on similar libraries
because of that fact?

It would seem the accepted answer to the original question ("When can we
expect a blessed logging facility to make it into an official release of
boost?") had been "after phoenix v3 is stable". So now that Phoenix V3
is in boost 1.47, Is there hope it will be in 1.48? Is hope a plan?