Subject: Re: [boost] sandbox or boost vault
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-16 21:03:53

on Fri Jul 15 2011, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/15/2011 3:33 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> on Fri Jul 15 2011, Sean Farrow<sean.farrow-AT-seanfarrow.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>> Given that the boost vault has been down for quite a few months,
>>> where are all new bosot libraries going for review, in the boost
>>> vault-with a different url, or in the boost sandbox in the svn
>>> repository? Any help appreciated. Regards
>>
>> Well, it's "back up" in a manner of speaking. Your old URLs will send
>> you someplace below http://github.com/boost-vault. Redirection is far
>> from perfect, but it usually puts you in the right neighborhood.
>>
>> However, it's not intended that you put your library there for review.
>> Ideally, you should get your own github account and publish the library
>> that way.
>
> Just wondering...
>
> When and how that decision made?

Sorry, I realize that the way I phrased this could have led you to
misunderstand me. The last two sentences above are not an official
position, but my personal recommendation.

BoostPro made the decision to discontinue hosting the vault for these
reasons:

* We've never been happy with the security implications
* We have been saying for quite some time we wanted to discontinue it
* It broke a few times and we spent resources fixing it
* The last time it broke, we actually couldn't figure out what was wrong

So there we were: the vault was down, and had been for some time.
Supporting the vault had been costing us time, and there are many free
services that could serve the same purpose, only much better. We
further invested our resources in moving the vault's current contents to
GitHub and setting up redirects so that the contents would remain
accessible to the community. We only just got that job finished a
couple of days ago.

Boost is of course free to move the contents of those repositories
wherever it sees fit, and to make whatever decision it wants about how
to fill the vault's role in the future.

> When and how was it communicated? Has the documentation for library
> submission been changed to reflect this?
>
> Did I miss something from the steering committee?

Since there was no official decision from the steering committee, there
was nothing to communicate. "What should we do about the vault contents
and how should the documentation be changed" would be a fine topic to
bring up here.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing