Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Documentation correction
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-18 01:50:37

----- Original Message ----

Actually it is not BSD's API it is POSIX 2008 API and BSD family of OSes (like
FreeBSD)
does not support it.

Currently only Darwin and Linux support such API (and it is not fully compatible
with
each other and the standard).

BTW GCC's libstdc++ uses Linux's/GNU LibC's newlocale API.

>http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/xlocale.3.html
>
> The behavior of "" mimics that of "" passed to newlocale:
>
>http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/newlocale.3.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/3/newlocale
>
> Howard

To be honest... I would not be so optimistic about it at all.

Collation (strcoll_l/strcoll; strxfrm/strxfrm_l) is broken under under
Darwin (even latest) so it would be still limited.

Take a look on what Boost.Locale provides over Darwin/Mac OS X - it
would be something like this but even less.

In any case Boost.Locale provides posix backed that uses this API and you
can freely use it on Darwin platform (of course with its limitations)

 Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/