Subject: [boost] [Lockfree review] Meta-comments
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-21 11:35:27

Dear all,

I have a few meta comments about the Lockfree review and reviews in general:

1. I know a lot of people read this list via gmane.org. A bug in
gmane.org means that when a message is posted to more than one list -
for example, a review announcement sent to this list and announce@ -
then it appears only in one, and follow-ups are lost. So gmane.org
readers will have missed most of this review. Of course a valid answer
would be "they should fix it", but considering how few reviews have
been written recently I think we should do everything possible to
increase discussion. I don't know if review managers get a "how to run
your review" document, but assuming that they do, I suggest adding
"please post separate announcements to each list, not one message to all".

2. I think every candidate library should have an online copy of its
documentation. Again, I think this should be on the review manager's
checklist. Yes, you could say that people should be able to download
and unzip and/or build their own copy of the docs, but again, we need
more reviews and we need to remove as many obstacles (real or imagined)
as possible. (In the last review I asked "Where are the online docs?"
and it turned out that they were available but I had missed them;
oops. If I have once again missed them, oops again.)

3. This has already been discussed to some extent, but why are we
reviewing this before Boost.Atomic? I think Boost.Atomic is an
urgently-required library. What can we all do to help it get submitted
and accepted as soon as possible?

Regards, Phil.