Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Request Feedback for Boost.Ustr Unicode String Adapter
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-12 03:58:44

On 11 August 2011 13:12, Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 14:41, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Even if there was a consensus within boost, that isn't feasible. We
>> don't own std::string, so we don't have a say in what it represents.
>
> Of course it's feasible. We have the right to say what it represents in the
> interface of *our* libraries.

Not really, boost is intended to be interoperable with the C++
standard library. That limits us to following its conventions and
policies.

> If Boost.ProgramOptions, Boost.Locale and
> Sqlite did it, surely we can adopt this policy to the rest of the libraries.

According to its documentation, Program Options doesn't require UTF-8,
it uses the standard locale facet.

Locale can dictate localization issues, since it's a localization
library and its users have chosen to use it. Users of boost's other
libraries haven't made that decision.

As far as I can tell sqlite doesn't use std::string, so I'm not sure
why it's relevant. Regardless of that, it doesn't have the same
requirements as us.