Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Request Feedback for Boost.Ustr Unicode String Adapter
From: Soares Chen Ruo Fei (crf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-13 15:48:26

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011, Gordon Woodhull wrote:
>> As I think I said before, I don't mind who implements it as long as we get it into Boost.  Boost.Unicode is not yet an accepted library; it's not even on the review schedule.
>
> My understanding is that Matthias is just waiting for a good application or two and then he'll put it up for review.

Yup, you can count on Mathias' Boost.Unicode in matured phase much
more than you can count on my Boost.Ustr in it's infancy phase. :)

> IMHO this library should use that one and then you can focus on the std::string-like stuff and he can do the range stuff. This might require some intermediate frameworks to deal with the other encodings.
>
> Please watch the video of Matthias' talk - after the first half it sort of turned into an impromptu review where among other things people were discussing how to make it useful by connecting it to a string wrapper class.

I just briefly watched it and yeah, my idea is basically the same as
the commentator - to add Unicode functionality to specifically
*strings*, keep it as simple as possible sacrificing generality, and
designed specially for users who *don't* care about Unicode
processing.

Thanks for pointing to the videos, I've forgotten about it after
busying through other stuffs.