Subject: Re: [boost] [odeint] GSoC Summary and Feedback request
From: Karsten Ahnert (karsten.ahnert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-22 16:24:55

On 08/22/2011 10:05 PM, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 08/22/11 13:01, Mario Mulansky wrote:
> [snip]
>> Please visit the docs to find out more about the features and abilities
>> of odeint:
>> http://headmyshoulder.github.com/odeint-v2/doc/index.html
> [snip]
> Here:
>

> http://headmyshoulder.github.com/odeint-v2/doc/boost_sandbox_numeric_odeint/concepts/state_algebra_operations.html
>
> the number 14 appears with no explanation of why 14 was chosen instead
> of say 20 or 50. Instead of 14, it would be better if there were some
> macro, like mpl's BOOST_MPL_LIMIT_VECTOR_SIZE:

We do not use the preprocessor library. Of course it is possible but we
might spent a lot of time learning it. We are not sure if this amount of
time is really useful, since in C++0x everything is much easier.

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/mpl/doc/refmanual/limit-vector-size.html
>
> There's also a typo on state_algebra_operations.html:
>
> Constrcuts a Scale object
>
> Also, couldn't:
>
> algebra.for_eachN( y, x1, x2, ... xN-1)
>
> be replaced by generating overloaded algebra.for_each's? Similarly,
> couldn't Operations::scale_sumN< Value1, Value2, ..., ValueN>
> done like the way fusion::vector is done? This might make it easier,
> in the future, to convert to variadic templates. OTOH, why not try
> variadic templates now?

We want odeint to work with C++03 compilers. Nevertheless, we plan to
create an own C++0x (or C++11) branch.

Best regards,

Karsten