Subject: Re: [boost] Name and Namespace for Potential Boost Extended Floating-Point
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-30 17:32:45

Le 30/08/11 21:08, Christopher Kormanyos a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> We are seeking a good name for a potential boost extended precision floating-point library.
> This is a multiple precision floating-point type which *behaves* well in C++.
>

> Some very helpful boosters are assisting me with the preparation of this potential library.
> We've still got a lot to do, but are making good progress.
>
> In order to continue, we need a good name for a potential boost multiple-precision floating-point type.
>
> For the multiple-precision real type we have names like:
>
> * multiprecision_real
> * mp_real
> * extended_float_tOur current favorite is the second:mp_real.
>
> For namespaces, we have:
>
> 1. boost::mp::mp_real
> 2. boost::multiprecision::mp_real
> 3. boost::multiple_precision::mp_realOur current favorite namespace is number 2: boost::multiprecision.
>
> This new data type behaves like a drop-in replacement for a POD.
> It also has a collection of transcendental functions and a complex data type.

Hi,

I guess you know the BigNumber proposal from John Maddock. While this
library provides some wrappers to 3rd party libraries, nothing forbid to
include an arbitrary precision real and an integer with arbitrary
digits. So, if John accepts, the namespace could be big_number. The
classes could just be named real, integer, ...

Best,
Vicente