Subject: Re: [boost] [Endian] Review
From: Tomas Puverle (Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-09 10:59:37

> If you don't want the operators, then don't use
> them. Having an extra template parameter to
> disable them seems rather pointless.

Steven,

That, in my view, is the same argument as saying that "a bidirectional iterator
should have an operator +=, but just don't use it".

Why doesn't the STL provide it? Because it would lead to surprises when people
expecting a quick operation end up getting something much more expensive. While
the algorithmic complexity of the endian operators may not quite cause the
difference between O(1) and O(N), I think it's teetering in the same territory.
Cheers,

Tom