Subject: Re: [boost] XInt library primality test
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-24 08:53:02

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:48:48 +0000
Jorge Lodos Vigil <lodos_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> There *is* apparently a more efficient algorithm for that ("using a
>> wheel"), but I'm not familiar with it yet. Is that what you're
>> referring to?
>
> No, I was referring to static lists of prime numbers already
> calculated and stored.

Ah, I see. That would be slightly more processor-efficient, but
slightly less efficient in terms of program size. Since they can be
easily and quickly calculated and cached, I prefer to go that route.

> Chapter 4 of "Handbook of Applied Cryptography" by A. Menezes, P. van
> Oorschot and S. Vanstone available in
> http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/ has valuable information about
> prime number generation.

Thanks. I have a copy of that, I'll take a look once I can get back to
XInt.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.