Subject: Re: [boost] [Review:Algorithms] Order of args to clamp
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-27 13:22:07

Marshall Clow wrote:

> A couple of interesting results that I found playing around
> this morning
>
> namespace ba = boost::algorithm;
>
> short foo = 50;
> BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL(56, ba::clamp(foo, 56.9, 129));
> BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL(24910, ba::clamp(foo, 12345678,
> 123456999 ));

This is why warnings should not be ignored, of course. Mixing floating point and integer types is always worth care, so the first one can just be chalked up to carelessness. Still, it might be worth the trouble to disallow the combination, forcing the caller to do the rounding as appropriate. (Integer limits for a floating pointer value are not a problem aside from the usual inexactness of floating point types.)

Truncation, as in your second example, is more irksome. It would be very nice if range checks could be included, provided an appropriate manifest constant was defined. I can imagine a commercial standard library adding that to a "checked" build as a QoI feature, at least.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components