Subject: Re: [boost] [operators] The future
From: Olaf van der Spek (ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-03 07:51:05

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Daniel Frey <d.frey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dropping some of the old grouped operators should not be a big deal, since grouped operators are more-or-less convenience only, the real functionality is in the "Simple Arithmetic Operators" (see current documentation).
>
> If there is a strong need, we could also preserve the old implementation as <boost/legacy/operators.hpp>, but I think it's also practical to drop it completely - old Boost versions are still available for those who need them.

Hi Daniel,

Are there (no) rules for backwards compatibility?
Breaking backwards compatibility should be done in steps (IMO). First,
provide the new stuff. Then, deprecate the old stuff. When the new
stuff is widely available (part of Debian and maybe RHEL stable for
example), drop the old stuff.

Old Boost versions are *not* always available. I think most (Linux)
distro's ship only one version and using another version really isn't
an option.

Greetings,

Olaf