Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-03 15:56:45

John Maddock <boost.regex <at> virgin.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if it's that simple - a quick grep shows 815 files with a
> test_main. What should have happened is that:
>
> * You would announce loud and clear that this feature was going to be
> removed, and then.

Ok. I'll post the notification (though I'd imagine this thread should be loud
enough ;) )

> * Work with library authors to remove all uses of this feature and verify
> that nothing is broken in the process.

It'll take forever to sync between 20+ people. The change is trivial I can do
this myself.

> * Merge the changes (and only these changes) to the release branch once
> everyone is happy.

Why do we need this? Different libraries have different release schedule. What
if library author do not want to push trunk version to the release branch?
Boost.Test was not release for 3+ years I believe. In theory I do want these
changes to be pushed into release, since otherwise I can not release myself, but
that is separate step.

> * Only when all uses of the feature have been removed, can the feature
> actually be removed from Trunk.

I can remove all the usage of this component in trunk. Trunk will build after
that and any library pushed into release branch will build as well. I need my
changes in a trunk for now so that I can check they compile.

> 1) This change is reverted, and the procedure above followed, or:

Ok. I'll reinstate this component for the time being (later today), but I do
plan to remove it.

> PS even with current SVN I still get:
> ..\src\decorators.cpp(16) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
> 'boost/test/impl/decorators.ipp': No such file or directory

Right. This was renamed. Something is not checked in.

Gennadiy