Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-04 13:04:19

on Mon Oct 03 2011, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>
>> Gennadiy, please revert all of your changes. This mess needs to be
>> cleared up right away.
>
> I'll reinstate the missing component for the time being.
>
>> Wholesale breakage of trunk isn't acceptable anytime, much less this
>> late in a release cycle.
>
> I thought release is based on release branch.

It is. But as you've seen over the years, it causes an unworkable
amount of upset and alarm when large numbers of failures appear on
the trunk all at once, and people who would otherwise be dealing with
release issues now have trunk issues to worry about.

> Sometimes I do break trunk due to missed commit or compiler
> differences, but these quickly resolved. I need some way to make sure
> my changes are working.

But that can't have been the case here, can it? Surely if you'd run the
whole boost regression suite on your local machine before and after your
changes, you'd have seen the differences, no?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing