Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Build is broken?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-07 12:09:30

AMDG

On 11/07/2011 02:52 AM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Frankly I do not know who supports Boost.Build, but how long it'll stay broken?
> I can't say when it started, but ever since I started working on Boost.Test
> changes I experience constant problems. I can't believe I am the only one.
>
> 1. When you take boost trunk and go into Boost.Test build or test directory and
> try building using any toolset it immediately fails with:
>
> ..\..\..\libs\test\build\Jamfile.v2:110: in modules.load
> rule boost-install unknown in module Jamfile</.../trunk/libs/test/build>.
>
> <snip>

This error is specific to Boost.Test, and
only occurs when you run bjam in the Boost.Test
subdirectories. I have a fix, but I need
to make sure that it doesn't break anything
else before I commit it, since it changes
the loading of Jamfiles.

> 2. Once I remove boost-install from Boost.Test Jamfile, I get bun of errors like
> this:
>
> ..\..\..\libs\test\src\compiler_log_formatter.cpp(16) : fatal error C1083:
> Cannot open include file: 'boost/test/impl/compiler_log_formatter.ipp': No such
> file or directory
>
> Essentially boost home directory is missing from include path. How come?

It's the same problem as (1).

> <snip>
> Apparently g++ is not an executable anymore with cygwin. I am able to workaround
> this by adding
>
> using gcc : 4.5.3 : g++-4.exe ;
>
> into user-config.jam, but why Boost.Build can't figure this out and do I need to
> support this file now myself?

I don't think there's much in the way of testing
on Cygwin now. It should be easy to add the
name g++-4 into the mix that Boost.Build searches for.

> 4. After the fix I am able to build dll based tests, but when I attempt to use
> static library version of Boost.Test I am getting:
>
> gcc.archive
> ..\..\..\libs\test\build\bin\gcc-4.5.3\
> debug\link-static\libboost_unit_test_framework.a
>
> "/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ar.exe" rc .... # list of object files here
> "/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ranlib.exe" ... # lib here
>
> The system cannot find the path specified.
> The system cannot find the path specified.

Do these two executables exist?

> This one I do not know how to fix. So the situation is that I cannot test any
> static library based unit tests (as a side note, this inability was the cause of
> crashes which interrupted trunk testing month ago). I addition whenever I want
> to check in my local changes to Jamfile (excluding hacks which I actually do not
> want to check in) it is rather annoying process.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe