Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Local] Review
From: Oliver Kullmann (O.Kullmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-22 16:40:13

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 05:59:46PM +0000, Geoff Shapiro wrote:
> John Bytheway <jbytheway+boost <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > Actually, "Acknowledgments" is the traditionally correct spelling.
> > > There are some dictionaries that accept "Acknowledgement," but this
> > > reads as faddish and less literate. A similar word is "judgment"---
> > > both are frequently misspelled even by native speakers.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying. I see now that it was my hyper-British
> > dictionary choices in Thunderbird which caused me to suggest this change
> > :). It also doesn't like "judgment".
> >
> > FWIW, Wiktionary suggests that this is a US/UK distinction rather than a
> > traditional/rare distinction, though no doubt both languages bleed into
> > each other a lot.

Also all my sources say that "Acknowledgment" is AE, while
"Acknowledgement" is BE.
And since BE is "traditional", I think the above statement about
"traditionally correct spelling" and "faddish and less literate"
is false (except when taking the US-point-of-view as the only possible).
Also "judgement" is the traditional, i.e.,, British spelling
(likely derived from "judge"); as far as I know, dropping some letters is
a typical US-thing.
There are more examples ... we had them in some joint papers with
US-authors ... can't remember them anymore.

Oliver