Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Local] Review
From: Geoff Shapiro (gshapiro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-22 12:59:46

John Bytheway <jbytheway+boost <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> OK.
> >
> > Actually, "Acknowledgments" is the traditionally correct spelling.
> > There are some dictionaries that accept "Acknowledgement," but this
> > reads as faddish and less literate. A similar word is "judgment"---
> > both are frequently misspelled even by native speakers.
>
> Thanks for clarifying. I see now that it was my hyper-British
> dictionary choices in Thunderbird which caused me to suggest this change
> :). It also doesn't like "judgment".
>
> FWIW, Wiktionary suggests that this is a US/UK distinction rather than a
> traditional/rare distinction, though no doubt both languages bleed into
> each other a lot.

This was refreshing. As an avid reader, but rare contributor, and taking note of
how technical the discussions here can get and how often some of these
discussions get a little heated, a diversion such as this is most welcome!

BTW, I grew up spelling both as "acknowledgement" and "judgement". Online
sources seem to indicate that in Britain those spellings are the norm while in
the US the 'e' after 'g' is usually dropped. But I was born and raised here in
the US so what gives? Given that my first name is "Geoff" (English spelling) and
not "Jeff" (American spelling) the confusion is readily apparent?

:-)

Geoff