Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Sergey Cheban (s.cheban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-23 06:15:21

23.11.2011 8:22, Gregory Crosswhite пишет:

> If Boost really were primarily about providing functionality that will only become truly useful on compilers that don't actually exist yet, then I am not sure why anyone would pretend that Boost was *also* intended for practical every-day use by programmers just looking to solve problems. I mean, your point that Boost should be pushing the envelope is well taken, but surely this shouldn't be done at the expense of refusing to ever address the issues that we face in the present.
>
> As a wise man once said: "As you know, you go to code with the compilers you have, not the compilers you might want or wish to have at a later time."

We lived without macro-style lambdas for more than ten years. We can
wait for 2-3 years. OTOH, if the boost.local will be included into the
boost, it will be neccessary to support it forever or reimplement all
the code that depends on it.

Please note that the boost.move was accepted before the c++11 was
accepted. I think it is too late to include the boost.local into the boost.

OTOH, the boost.atomic is compatible with std::atomic. It will be
relatively easy to remove it from the boost when c++11-incompatible
compilers become obsolete.

--
Sergey Cheban