Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Brent Spillner (spillner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 08:52:10

On 24 Nov 2011 20:19:17 Joel de Guzman wrote:
>The funny thing is that the new feature came from Spirit, not
>Phoenix. Phoenix API has been stable for many years now. Triple
>sheesh for ya! :-)

Then why did V3 require a review earlier this year?

Phoenix is great if you want things that are easy in a functional
programming language to seem easy in C++, but it does have a learning
curve. Local requires a little more typing for short snippets, but is
probably far less intimidating, and has far fewer potential "gotchas",
for the typical user. I don't think the two are competing with each
other at all--- Phoenix provides a far richer set of building blocks
for those who want them, and Local offers a stable interface, trivial
execution model, and straightforward error messages for those who
simply want to use a local function here and there. For a non-guru
who just wants to reduce code duplication or port something from
Delphi, Local is in many cases the more appealing choice.