Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 12:41:30

> On 24 Nov 2011 20:19:17 Joel de Guzman wrote:
> >The funny thing is that the new feature came from Spirit, not Phoenix.
> >Phoenix API has been stable for many years now. Triple sheesh for ya!
> >:-)
>
> Then why did V3 require a review earlier this year?

That's because it has been re-implemented from the grounds up in order to
make it compatible and a full replacement for boost::lambda, boost::bind and
phoenix::v2.

But what's your point anyways? I don't see any relation to the original
topic.

> Phoenix is great if you want things that are easy in a functional
> programming language to seem easy in C++, but it does have a learning
> curve. Local requires a little more typing for short snippets, but is
> probably far less intimidating, and has far fewer potential "gotchas", for
> the typical user. I don't think the two are competing with each other at
> all--- Phoenix provides a far richer set of building blocks for those who
> want them, and Local offers a stable interface, trivial execution model,
> and straightforward error messages for those who simply want to use a
> local function here and there. For a non-guru who just wants to reduce
> code duplication or port something from Delphi, Local is in many cases the
> more appealing choice.

All of this might be true. But why does Boost.Local have to be in Boost in
order to fulfill these promises?

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu