Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Local] Review
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 14:09:44

On 24 November 2011 13:41, Joel Falcou <joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 24/11/2011 12:46, Daniel James wrote:
>>
>> Do that then. Fix these problems and you'll prove me wrong. Wouldn't
>> that be nice?
>
> At which point did you stopped reading my email ? Before the point where I
> said that we're more willing to fix them as users report them.

But you're not fixing them, you're just writing about fixing them.
When someone did post an error message, this was the response:

If fixing them requires waiting for something that isn't happening
then they won't get fixed.

> I repeat we cannot preemptively fix all of them as problem usually arise
> with improper designed user data type with respect to the constraint the TMP
> awaits for. So now, if reporting bug is too hard to do, then we can't help
> this much ...

Then you're stuck. So you have to work out a way forward. Go through
the archives, search stack overflow, look at where people have gone
wrong. Try compiling bad examples different compilers. Write your own
test cases. Think about how it can be improved. Think about where
they're going wrong and where they will go wrong. Try to understand
why people are having problems. Read through those horrible errors,
think about how to help the compiler give better errors etc.

Alternatively, you could just decide that you don't want those people
to use your library.

> Do you bitch at regular library when, if calling a function takign a float
> with a char* you get "errors" ?

But I know how to decipher complicated error messages, you're asking
the wrong person. And I try not to bitch, most of the time I try to be
constructive.