Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Nathan Ridge (zeratul976_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 23:51:54

> From: nevin_at_[hidden]
>
> On 24 November 2011 16:23, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > We already know your position about (2): that now C++11 is here, we should
> > be moving on and stop giving attention to C++03 problems which are solved
> > by C++11. I, on the other hand, think the reality is that C++03 will be
> > around for a while longer, and it's worth caring about the C++03 experience
> > evem if there are C++11 solutions.
>
> While it may be around for a while, the reasons for not upgrading to
> C++11 also stops most of those people from upgrading their version of
> Boost, compiler, etc. The user base that can continually upgrade
> Boost but nothing else will be shrinking quickly, IMHO.

There is a big difference between upgrading a library and switching to
a new language specification. For starters, C++03 and C++11 are ABI-
incompatible on most implementations that I know of. That means that before
you can even compile your code in C++11 mode, every library and piece of
code that your code links to must also be recompiled in C++11 mode. You can
see how that might take a while to happen in a large organization.

Regards,
Nate