Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-25 01:56:50

On 24 November 2011 22:51, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> There is a big difference between upgrading a library and switching to
> a new language specification. For starters, C++03 and C++11 are ABI-
> incompatible on most implementations that I know of.

Is this documented somewhere? I've seen ABI changes based on compiler
releases, but not based on whether or not the C++0x flag is set. I'd
love to be as informed as you are on this.

> That means that before
> you can even compile your code in C++11 mode, every library and piece of
> code that your code links to must also be recompiled in C++11 mode.

Sure sounds like when someone changes a version of Boost, they end up
having to recompile the world both to avoid ODR violations and to make
sure things link correctly. (Or course, if they have pieces of code
that don't use Boost those can remain unchanged.)

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404