Subject: Re: [boost] Status of ISO/IEC TR 24733 library idea?
From: Mateusz Łoskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 05:35:45

On 6 December 2011 09:58, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> There is ISO/IEC TR 24733 draft on decimal floating-point arithmetic.
>> I found old thread by Stefan Slapeta: Decimal floating point library [1]
>> I wonder, what is status of this idea in Boost?
>

> I don't think anyone in Boost is working on it (that I know of) - it appears
> there was a C++ reference implementation available on the IBM website, but
> it looks like it might have been removed :-(

decNumber++ is still listed here http://goo.gl/mOqSI
but the download is missing indeed

If I'm looking in the right direction, decNumber++ was developed by
Robert Klarer
and implements the interfaces specified in the ISO/IEC TR 24733:

http://speleotrove.com/decimal/

I found some references to Robert's activity here:

I have no idea if the decNumber++ is the mentioned GPL'ed reference
implementation, but perhaps it is not and Robert would be willing to
contribute it to Boost.

> In the mean time, some of us have been working on extended precision
> arithmetic (see "big_number" directory in the sandbox) using Christopher
> Kormanyos' e_float code for decimal arithmetic.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> Now that I've been reminded of IBM's C lib reference implementation of
> decNumber, I'll add support for that as well.... could make a good test
> case.

So, it is the decNumber.

Best regards,